original pc: Horizon Light Photography
My 20s have been
For starters? I've seen my writing in print. I've crowd surfed at music festivals, climbed on stage at the MTV VMAs, flirted my way onto a band's tour bus, and lied my way into a fancy album release party. I've run half-marathons. I've run a full marathon. I've even walked 60 miles for charity. I lived in New York City for two years and in London for three weeks. I've lived alone, dined alone, traveled alone, gone to the movies alone, gone to concerts alone... I even went to Coachella alone. I conquered my biggest fear and finally learned how to swim. I've zip lined through the jungle in Mexico, stood in ancient ruins in Rome, and watched the lights twinkle in Paris from the Eiffel Tower. I've waited tables, sold Apple computers, researched story lines for a novelist, and edited a magazine. I've drunkenly bear-hugged Bill Murray and I've soberly called John Mayer a moron to his face. I got a tattoo.. then another.. and another.
I've hosted and cooked an entire Thanksgiving meal for my family. I've run through the South of France in the rain with fresh baguettes and stood on Gaudi's rooftops in Barcelona. I finished my bachelor's degree then my (first) master's degree while working full-time during five very caffeinated years. I've skinny dipped in the Pacific Ocean and strolled through Central Park. I took a gondola ride through Venice, explored the Vatican, and toured the Palace of Versailles. I've been on the top of the Empire State Building at 1am, gambled the night away in Vegas and watched the sun set over the Grand Canyon. I packed up everything I owned and moved to California, with no job prospects in sight. I met a boy, I fell in love, and we adopted two rescue dogs.
I found out what made me happy and I am grateful every day.
And don't get me wrong, my 20s still feel far from over. Unfortunately, regardless of how I "feel," it doesn't change the fact that in 15 months, I'll be entering my next decade.
Honestly? I'm not scared to turn 30, I'm not dreading it like I'm apparently supposed to. Not one little bit. How can I with all the wonderful stuff I got to experience during my 20s? In fact, I'm really excited for my 30s, for focusing more on the people and activities that I love and less on the things that I don't, for being done with school, for settling down... but... I mean...
There's still time to make my 20s go out with a bang.
Which brings me to my 30 Before 30. I know that a lot of bloggers have posted these before. In fact, I read through about 60 of them while I was trying to come up with my own list. And reading through dozens and dozens of those lists made me so very appreciative of all the opportunities I've had, all the crazy and scary shit I've pushed myself to do just to say I did it. However, it also made me realize how hard it would be to come up with unique experiences for this list.
So... after a little borrowing, a little soul searching, and a lot of daydreaming, I came up with the following. It's going to be a busy 15 months.
(I wouldn't have it any other way.)
30 Before 30
1. Go skydiving.
2. See the Northern Lights.
3. Learn to play at least one song on the ukelele.
4. Pay off all my credit cards.
5. Try aerial yoga.
6. Finish crocheting at least one of the blankets I've started.
7. Go tent camping in Big Sur with Ryan and the dogs.
8. Learn to drive stick.
9. Take a pottery class.
10. Go wine tasting in Napa.
11. Make a video recap of our 2014 trip to Sayulita.
12. Visit the Magic Castle in LA.
13. Hike to the Hollywood Sign.
14. Do a handstand unassisted.
15. Jump off of a cliff into a large body of water.
16. Successfully catch and surf a wave on my own.
17. Refurbish my peacock chair.
18. Take the train up to Santa Barbara for the weekend.
19. Swim a mile.
20. Road trip the West Coast.
21. Participate in a baby sea turtle release.
22. Take a Big Bear snowboarding trip with friends.
23. Spend a day riding bikes around San Diego.
24. Learn how to use a DSLR.
25. Shop at the Rose Bowl Flea Market.
26. Day trip to Tijuana.
27. Ride a skateboard.
28. Figure out the recipe for and create the perfect taco seasoning.
29. Road trip to Salton Sea and Salvage Mountain.
30. Write the first 3 chapters of a book.