I don't think there's anything more American than Rice Krispie treats. Except for maybe football and reality television. But if you're still looking for something to make for your 4th of July BBQ tomorrow, look no further.
This recipe will make about 9 star-shaped Rice Krispie treats. A couple of years ago we made 3 batches for a total of 27 treats and there wasn't a single one left over!
Star Spangled Rice Krispie Treats
(adpated from this recipe)
- 6 cups of crispy rice cereal
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- White frosting
- Blue frosting
- Red sugar
- Star-shaped cookie cutter
- Wax paper
- Cookie sheet
- Rolling pin
1. In a saucepan, melt the butter over low heat, then stir in the marshmallows until completely melted.
2. Add the crispy rice cereal and stir until coated.
3. Place wax paper onto a cookie sheet and pour mixture onto paper. Place another piece of wax paper on top and roll out mixture with rolling pin until the mixture is flat and about an inch thick.
4. Use the cookie cutter to cut out the stars. Combine the scraps and roll out again to use as much of the mixture as possible. Note: This part can be tricky especially as the mixture cools.
5. Decorate with frosting and sugar.